- 1 1/4 cups pearled barley (not quick-cooking type)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 tsp. cracked black pepper
- 2 tsp. Engage Organics Garlicsaltless
- 1 tsp. Engage Organics Original All-Purpose
- 1 1/2 lbs. winter squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch squares
- 1/2 cup butter
- 5 cups chopped Spinach
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cook barley according to package directions using chicken broth in place of water. Add cracked pepper to the broth. I covered the pot like I was cooking rice.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook onion and squash in butter over medium heat, covered, until the squash is fork tender, stirring occasionally. Cook about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in cooked barley, chard, walnuts, and Parmesan cheese. At this point you can put the casserole in the refrigerator and cook when ready to serve. It keeps up to 24 hours.
Transfer to a 3 quart-casserole dish and bake uncovered 25-30 minutes or until heated through. This serves 8 generously. If you have kept the casserole in the refrigerator before cooking it will take another 10 minutes or so to heat through.
We serve this dish in a Crock Pot at demos. It’s a great traveler and party favorite.