- 14 oz. whole peeled tomatoes
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 2 cups sodium-free chicken broth
- 1- 2 Tbsp. Engage Organics Mexi Mix (use 1 tablespoon for moderate heat. Increase slowly to 2 tablespoons if more heat is desired.)
- 1-1/2 Tbsp. Engage Organics Garlicsaltless
- 1/3 cup avocado oil
- 2 cups white rice (I've used brown Basmati rice and it's wonderful)
- 1-2 chopped jalapenos or serrano chilies
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- juice of 2 limes
If you want the taste and texture of restaurant-style Spanish rice, without the SALT, this recipe is a winner.
Serves 6-8 and is delicious when combined with our Authentic Street Tacos . . .
Place the tomatoes and onion in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Transfer ingredients to a medium saucepan. Stir in 2 cups chicken broth, Engage Organics Mexi-Mix and bring liquid to a boil over medium heat. ( I use about 1 tablespoon Mexi-Mix and the rice is yummy, but if you desire more heat, increase the Mexi-Mix up to 2 tablespoons, tasting and sniffing as you add it to the tomatoes.)
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a heavy Dutch oven over medium to medium-high heat. When the oil is sizzling, add the rice and sauté, stirring frequently until lightly golden, about 8-10 minutes. Don’t overcook. Add the jalapenos and cook until softened ,about 2 minutes, lowering the heat. Add Engage Organics Garlicsaltless and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
Pour the boiling tomato mixture over rice and stir to combine. Turn heat to low and cook, covered until liquid has evaporated and rice is done, about 15 minutes. You might have to add more chicken broth to continue cooking until tender. Once tender remove from heat and gently stir the rice. Re-cover pot and allow to rest undisturbed for an additional 10 minutes. Add cilantro and lime juice, fluff gently with fork. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired. Serve with additional lime wedges.