- 2-3 chickens (3 lbs. each) cut into serving pieces. Cutting the chicken is not easy, but if you can't find chicken breasts with skin then you will have to cut them yourself. Otherwise, you can buy legs, thighs, wings and breasts that are already cut.
- 1 quart buttermilk. (if you do 3 chickens you will need the half gallon sized buttermilk)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2 tsp Engage Organics Mexi Mix (use 2 tsp is you tolerate heat well)
- 1 tbsp. Engage Organics All Purpose
- Vegetable oil or shortening for frying (I used shortening and it was perfect)
Place chicken pieces in a large bowl and pour the buttermilk and Engage Organics Garlicsaltless over them Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. (I used about 1 tbsp. Garlicsaltless and mixed it with buttermilk for a marinade.)
Combine flour, Mexi Mix, All-Purpose and freshly ground pepper in a plastic bag for coating chicken. Take each piece of chicken from the buttermilk mixture and coast thoroughly with flour mixture.
Pour oil about 1″ high into a large heavy bottomed stockpot. I used a copper dutch oven and it worked perfectly. Heat oil to 360 degrees. Once you fry a batch the oil temperature will drop. Make certain you bring it back to 360 degrees before you fry another batch.
Don’t fry all the chicken at once. Work in batches so it browns evenly. Brown chicken for about 3 minutes each side until coating is light golden brown (remember it will continue to brown in oven). Don’t crowd the chicken pieces. Once browned put each chicken piece on a metal baking rack onto of a cookie sheet. When all the chicken is browned, bake for 30-40 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink inside.
If chicken pieces are different sizes they will take different cooking time in oven. The greatest part of this recipe is that you can brown chicken and have it ready to pop in the oven before serving. That makes it the perfect party pleaser.